Timbers Surrender Two Goals in Final Four Minutes, Draw 4-4 with Real Salt Lake

Portland’s first match following their ‘MLS is Back’ tournament championship, was a disappointing 3-0 loss to the Seattle Sounders on August 23rd. The loss broke an eight-match win streak for the Timbers.

Starting line-up for the Timbers against Real Salt Lake.


Diego Chara got the Timbers on the board first in the 6th minute with a right footed shot from the center of the box.

In the 19th minute, RSL evened the score at 1-1 after Corey Baird knocked one into the right corner of the net. However, in the following minutes the Timbers struck back to take a 2-1 lead. Jarek Niezgoda with a beautiful header from the center of the box. Diego Valerie assisted with a cross on a corner kick.

Portland was a bit sloppy toward the end of the first half, but managed to maintain a 2-1 advantage heading into the half. RSL had a 68% possession advantage, while out-shooting the Timbers 18 shots to just 6 in the first half of play.


The second half began with a bang for RSL, as Damir Kreilach scored on a header in the 48th minute. The goal drew RSL even with the Timbers at 2-2.

Sebastian Blanco came up huge once again in the 70th minute, scoring with his left foot over the keeper’s head. The goal gave Portland a 3-2 lead.

Felipe Mora extended the Timbers’ lead to 4-2 and things looked good in the 85th minute.

If you’ve watched the Timbers play, you knew the match was not quite over even with a two-goal lead late in the second half. Real Salt Lake is a club that is very hard to close out, and they never go away easy.

In the 90th minute Giuseppe Rossi put one in for RSL to pull with in one goal as the match went into stoppage time.

There was 4 minutes of stoppage time added, and RSL used every second of it. In the 94th and final minute of the match, Sam Johnson knocked in a left footed shot from the centrer of the box to the top left corner.

The final seconds ran out as the match would end in a 4-4 draw.

The Timbers were hoping to earn three points at home, but had to settle for just one after conceding two goals in the final four minutes of the match.


Follow 750 The Game on FacebookTwitter and Instagram.

More about: