Timbers Fall 4-2 to LAFC, Look Ahead to Back-To-Back with San Jose Earthquakes

The Portland Timbers defeated their rival Seattle Sounders 2-1 back on September 6th, snapping a three-match streak where they had failed to earn a win. The win for Portland was important in keeping them right in the thick of the Playoff race, with the Timbers now sitting in 5th place in the Western Conference standings.

LAFC came into Sunday night’s match having lost back-to-back games, and being shutout in both contests.

Things started slow for both clubs, as the match remained scoreless until the 25th minute, when Eryk Williamson was able to get Portland on the board with a left footed shot from the center of the box. It was an all-around team goal, as 10 of the 11 players for the Timbers touched the ball.

Mark-Anthony Kaye would equalize in the 37th minute for LAFC off a volley, after a corner kick was flicked on by Bradley Wright-Phillips. That made it 1-1, and a scoring frenzy would ensue during the final 9 minutes of the first half.

Four minutes later, Diego Rossi would score off a beautiful pass through a seam by Brian Rodríguez to give LAFC a 2-1 lead. Another four minutes went by before Bradley Wright-Phillips would put another one in for LAFC on the second phase of a free kick.

Portland had given up three unanswered goals at that point as the match was completely turned on its head, and the Timbers were now down 3-1 as the half was nearing its close.

Jeremy Ebobisse would score a very important goal in added time off a floated ball over the top. The goal would keep Portland within striking distance after a wild series of goals to close out the first half of play.

The Timbers would have a couple great opportunities to draw even with LAFC in the second half, but could not find a way to finish.

In the 62nd minute, Diego Valeri had an excellent shot on a free direct kick but was denied by the right post.

Portland was unable to score in the second half, while Danny Musovski knocked in the fourth and final goal for LAFC in added time to ice it.

Final score LAFC 4, Timbers 2.

Timbers now look ahead to a back-to-back with San Jose beginning this Wednesday evening.


Follow 750 The Game on FacebookTwitter and Instagram.

More about: