POLL: Should Justin Herbert be the NFL Offensive Rookie of the Year?
January 4, 2021 1:33PM PST
As much as I understand the arguments people are making for other players, this is a no-brainer.
Justin Herbert deserves the NFL Offensive Rookie of the Year honors. Reminder, I’m a WSU Coug, not a Duck grad. So, not a homer, sorry.
Anyway, let’s look at Herbert’s numbers.
The former Oregon product set the NFL rookie record for:
- Most Overall Touchdowns – 36
- (passes Cam Newton’s 32)
- Most Passing Touchdowns – 31
- (passes Baker Mayfield’s 27)
- Most Completions – 396
- (passes Carson Wentz’s 379)
- Most Games with 300+ pass yards – 8
- (passes Andrew Luck’s 6)
- Most Multi-Touchdown Games – 10
- Youngest QB with at least 30 TD passes – 22 years + 299 days
- (passes Lamar Jackson 22 years + 339 days)
Other Records/Almost Records
Herbert becomes the:
- 4th rookie to throw for 4,000+ yards
- Also joined Patrick Mahomes as only players to throw for 4,000+ yards in their first 14 career games
- 2nd rookie all-time in passing yards
- Fell 39 yards short (4,336) of passing Andrew Luck’s rookie record for passing yards (4,374)
- Chargers single-season rushing TDs leader for a QB
- Five rushing TDs are the most for any LA Chargers QB in franchise history.
Vote in our Poll
Is Justin Herbert the NFL Offensive Rookie of the Year?
- Yes (94%, 73 Votes)
- No (6%, 5 Votes)
Total Voters: 78