Oregon received the ball first, going up tempo to start the game on their opening drive. Herbert spread the ball out to Verdell and Redd early, moving easily down the field on their way to the end zone. The 12 play, 75 yard drive was capped off by a Herbert 12-yard touchdown pass to Spencer Webb. Ducks took the early lead 7-0.

After the Huskies were forced to punt on their first drive of the game, Washington took advantage of their second possession going on a 13 play, 52 yards drive which resulted in a game-tying 9-yard touchdown run by Salvon Ahmed.  Washington converted two 4th downs on the drive.

The Washington defense began to step up after allowing a touchdown on the opening drive. Following a forced punt, the Huskies offense went to work behind the run game of Ahmed once again. Ahmed’s success on the ground helped set up Eason on play action, hitting Chin for a 48-yard TD strike to give Washington a 14-7 lead in the second quarter. The catch was Chin’s first touchdown of his career.

Herbert began the game 6-6, but then missed his next five throws, as he was being flushed out of the pocket a lot by the Husky defense. Oregon punted four straight times.

The Ducks defense stepped up to stop the bleeding. A snap over Eason’s head stopped Washington from extending their lead, keeping the score 14-7 midway through the second quarter.

With just under 3 min to play in the first half, Oregon went on an 8 play, 69-yard drive, capped off by a 16-yard TD pass from Herbert to Redd. Sewell and Addison had great blocks to pave the way for Redd and tie the game.

Washington used tempo to finish off an 8 play, 75-yard drive and grab the 21-14 lead going into halftime.

Washington received the ball to open the second half. Ahmed continued to run wild on the Oregon defense as the Huskies took the opening drive of the second half down the field with ease, grabbing a 28-14 lead. Jacob Eason found Puka Nacua for a 33-yard TD strike.

Oregon needed to answer, and they did. They returned the favor with a physical drive of their own, going 79 yards on 10 plays. Habibi-Likio finished it off with a 14-yard run, as the Ducks made it a one score game again, 28-21.

Both teams ran the ball well to open the second half, with the offensive lines dominating the line of scrimmage. Oregon forced a 4th and 1 inside their own 20 yard line, but a defensive off-sides penalty extended the drive for the Huskies. Oregon’s defense ultimately held the Huskies to a field goal, making it 31-21 late in the third quarter.

On the final possession of the third quarter, Oregon converted two key 4th downs. The first inside their own territory, and the second in Husky territory on an excellent play call by offensive coordinator Marcus Arroyo. A misdirection play set up Pittman on the screen pass from Herbert, and Pittman took the ball 36 yards to the house for his first career touchdown. The score was 31-28 Huskies entering the fourth quarter. 

All scoring halted for awhile, until Oregon marched down the field on an 8 play, 70 yard drive, relying heavily on the ground game again. Herbert found his man Jaylon Redd for the second time in the game, and the Ducks took a 35-31 lead with just 5:10 left to play in the game. It was the first lead for the Ducks since they lead 7-0 after their opening drive of the game.

Washington was moving the ball into Oregon territory with just over 2 min to play, when the Ducks defense forced a pivotal sack on Eason. The play created a 3rd and long for the Huskies. A false start penalty did not help Washington, backing them up 5 more yards and creating a 3rd and 23.

Eason connected on a 20 yard pass to set up 4th and 3 with just 0:58 left to play. The Huskies had to convert to keep their chances alive, but Puka Nacua tripped while attempting to catch the pass from Eason, and the Ducks defense held on to secure the comeback win.

Final: Oregon wins 35-31


Follow 750 The Game on FacebookTwitter and Instagram.

More about:


More News